Thursday, May 15, 2014

Adventures in a Sweet World: Candyland Birthday Cake

When I used to get sick (like hospitals and surgeries sick), I didn't receive stuffed animals, balloons, or flowers. I got Pixy Sticks. I got Hershey's. I got sugar. I was known in my family as the one with the sweet tooth. I could devour teaspoons of sugar at the table before my mother could stir the milk in her tea. I found ways to get more sugar. I would forgo the Screwballs from the ice-cream-truck-man to get multiple kinds of candy that would last me longer than a melting ice cream with a dry gumball. I was a connoisseur. I wanted chocolate. I wanted sweet. I wanted sour and bitter and cream.



Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of my favorite books. Roald Dahl is still my favorite. Mel Stuart's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory would make my mouth water. I wanted the golden ticket so badly. I wanted to be Charlie. 

My love for candy has not faltered. But it has been challenged by a worthy competitor. The Lady wakes up in the middle of the night and sneaks into my chocolate stash and eats a whole bar before I notice it's gone. She will eat any and all candy at all times of the day, even if she doesn't like it (she's not a fan of chocolate! Blasphemy!)

It was her birthday.

I spent some money.







Then I spent a whooooooole day planning and drawing and coloring and doing fun things to make myself proud.



I had a few moments of "This is going to turn out terrible and I'm going to have to make cupcakes really quickly because there's no way that I can make a cake ugly and give it to someone that I love as much as I love her!"



Then things were coming together and I got scared that the cats would step on it. But they didn't even come near it.



Then I was sad I didn't get to show it to many people because we destroyed it post-taco dinner.









Then she destroyed it reallllly well while I was sleeping.


No comments:

Post a Comment