Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Reasonable and Scary Fear Evasion: Cream-Filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies


To whom it may concern;

I’m afraid that if I do something too much I will dislike it.  I don’t believe that I’ll ever stop loving pizza.  I don’t think that I’ll ever hate French fries.  But cupcakes?! I don’t want to lose my love for them.  So I took a break.  And I believe I will continue to take a break for a while from cupcakes.  So this week? COOKIES COOKIES COOKIES COOKIES COOKIES COOKIES COOKIES!



I’m so very picky about cookies.  I don’t like nuts in my sweets.  I don’t like having to drink something with my dessert.  I don’t like too much.  And I certainly need a good texture for it.  These cookies were wonderful for me.  AND! I tend to burn chocolate creations (because you can’t tell if they’re burnt or not… they’re ALREADY brown!), BUT I DIDN’T BURN THEM!

I did get a little bit antsy to eat them, so I ate some strawberries with the cream filling.  Don’t hate.  Delish. 



A few problems arose: I made the cookies too big and I made them too close together.  They were supposed to yield about 30, but I only made 22?  Whatevs.  The ugly ones got eaten by my co-workers and they didn’t seem to mind.  My beautiful picture is perfect cookies made without smooshing. 




They stack nicely. 



Sincerely,
I won’t ever get tired of sweets

(But these are terribly filling.)

This is my first attempt at recipes in my blog.  I plan on just telling you what I do, not what she says to do.  And attempting to abridge it a bit.  Just buy Martha's books if you really need to.

1. Preheat oven to 375. Mix dry ingredients together. (1.25 cup all-purpose flour, .75 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking soda, .25 tsp baking powder, .25 tsp salt.)
2.  Cream together butter and sugar. (1.25 sticks and 1.5 cup sugar)  Add one egg until combined.  Gradually add flour mixture. 
3.  Attempt to make exactly the same size dough balls, and roll one side in sugar.  Place sans-sugar side down onto parchment paper and flatten with a glass.  (Martha says one-eighth of an inch thick? Do it yo' way!) 
4.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through.  Remember, chocolate is hard to tell if it's burning, so always underestimate!  Once cooled, squeeze as much filling as you want (you make way too much anyway... especially with so few cookies...) and press two cookies together.  

CREAM FILLING: 
1 stick of butter, .5 cup of solid vegetable shortening, 3.5 cup confectioners' sugar, and 1 Tbsp vanilla extract.  Beat them together, add vanilla after.  Let it warm up to room temperature... pretty easy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment