Sunday, June 24, 2012

As You Wish: Strawberry Cupcakes


I went back to the beginning.  Vizzini told me to go back to the beginning.  So I have.  This is where I am, and this is where I will stay.  
 
Inigo was such a smart man. 
 
But I may not stay here. 
 
It was someone’s birthday this Saturday, so I decided to make cupcakes.  Brings me back to October, when I tricked Alayna into being my friend.  I had a few thoughts about making cupcakes and cookies and running and sleeping, but cupcakes pretty much won.  I mean, it’s tradition, right? (BUT WHYYYY?)
 
I had some problems. I lost count of my cups when I was doing the flour.  Made an extra six cupcakes. I don’t really know what I did. Whatever.


 
I had intentions of listening to Martha, but I decided against it.  I did not want to “finely chop” strawberries, so I used my Ninja (skillz). I got to use my Ninja (skillz) again when I need to puree the strawberries for the Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting.  NOMNOMNOMNOM. 
 
My frosting wouldn’t set. Maybe because the heat wave that’s hitting the Northeast is wrecking EVERYTHING and my hair (I am very tired), but it was in the fridge for some time while I prayed it congealed.  I wanted to use a disgusting sounding word for my frosting, and I don’t want to fix it. It did not work, and I didn’t not bring the cupcakes in until the day after.  


 
I think they came out beautifully.  I went through 8.5 sticks of butter and three packs of strawberries.  (I threw out 3.5 sticks, though, so don’t worry about me!)
 
 
Recipe: Should make 34, I made 40. Whatevs, guys. 
 
1.  Sift together 2.75 cup all-purpose flour, .5 cup cake flour, 1 Tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt. 
2.  Cream together 2 sticks butter, 2.25 cup sugar, 1.5 tsp vanilla (don’t measure ever).  Then add 3 eggs and 1 egg white one at a time.  Add half the flour mixture, then 1 cup milk, then the other half of flour mixture.  Fold in by hand 2 cups “finely chopped strawberries.” 
3.  Preheat oven to 350, fill cupcake liners up three-quarters.  Bake for 25 minutes.  
 
Frosting that I somehow screwed up hard:
1.  Puree 1.5 cup strawberries (about 15-ish).  Combine 4 large egg whites and 1.25 cup sugar in a heat-proof bowl in a double-boiler (type situation).  Constantly whisk until eggs and sugar combine nicely.  Take off and mix forever.  Until stiff peaks form. Add 3 sticks of butter gradually.  Then add the strawberries.  Put it in the fridge forever, and pray to the Martha gods that it will set and you can use it. 
2.  Grow restless and add some powdered sugar to try to thicken it up. 
3.  Wait. 
4.  Wait. 
5.  Wait. 
6.  Throw it out. Start again, taking your time. 

1 comment: