Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Summer Spent Smug: Tres Leches Cupcakes


Cinco de Mayo may be one of my favorite holidays.  It included quesadillas, nachos, tequila, Alayna, and Hannah.  I spent the “weekend” in New Hampshire with one of my best friends.  Therefore, I missed my Latin American cupcakes by a week.  I made tres leches cupcakes this weekend, reminding me of the summer I spent doing nothing by a pool.  Oh, how I miss the times of doing nothing. 



Tres leches means three milks.  The three milks involved are evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and “milk” (which in this case was heavy  cream).  I made the cakes veeeewey cawrefullwy.  Then I poked holes in them real quick like.  And then poured the mixture of milks on them.  I made a really boring whipped cream to put on top and sprinkled them with cinnamon.  They turned out delicious and reminiscent of lazy days spent reading Roald Dahl. 




These tastes and scents and memories make me think of when I thought I had the whole world figured out.  Who knows who they want to be with when they grow up?  I still don’t know what I want to do.  I don’t know who I want to be, or be with, or what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.  I am very lost now and the cupcakes make me laugh thinking about how I thought I knew everything just a year ago. 


(I don't know why my pictures are being so dumb.  It makes me mad/sad/angry..)

Recipe:  You'll need foil lined wrappers for this one.  The milks will make them all sorts of soggy.

1.  Preheat oven to 325.  Separate six eggs with the whites in a bigger bowl.  Whisk together the whites, .25 tsp baking soda and .25 tsp coarse salt until soft peaks form.  Add yolks and 1 cup sugar until combined.  Fold in 1 stick melted (and somewhat [I didn't really wait at all] cooled) unsalted butter with a flexible spatula.  Add 1 cup all purpose flour in four batches until just combined.
2.  Divide batter among 20 liners.  Bake 25 minutes, rotating halfway through.  As soon as you take them out, poke them repeatedly to make them able to absorb the milks.
3.  Mix (I used a fork) together 1 12-oz can of evaporate milk, 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk, and .75 cup of heavy cream.  Saturate each cupcake.  Make (very plain) whipped cream to add on top.  Sprinkle with cinnamon to make them look delish.  More authentic Tres Leches is normally topped with a maraschino cherry...  They taste (and look) best when allowed to cool in a fridge so they soak up the milks.

1 comment: