Monday, September 17, 2012

Stress-Free Three Hours: Mint Chocolate Cupcakes


I applied to a job I really want.  It has to do with my degree (Psychology), it would relocate me to my best friend (they do exist!), and I would FINALLY get some experience so that I can get a job elsewhere.  Also, I am being recommended to it by an employee in the program (you can’t get anywhere without knowing people if you are perfectly average in every way). 

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but I stress bake and cook.  I just like to measure things and give it to people.  I don’t have a house to renovate (unless you consider my sister’s my house).  So I wander over to my sisters, use all her bowls and fridges and the stove and I allow my anxiety to be forgotten while I measure cup by cup and concentrate on not burning my skin or cutting off my fingers.  I tend to spill, burn, cut, drop, or generally ruin things if I don’t pay attention.  So I pay attention and forget everything else. 

I needed these this week.  I need to concentrate on perfecting the complex buttercream frosting.  I needed to measure the flour and the salt and all the ingredients.  I needed something to come out perfect.  I needed these. 



I was concentrating so hard that I didn’t have a chance to take pictures.  The only picture is the beautiful cupcake.  But I don’t care.  They were delicious and pretty and people seemed to like them. 

Sometimes, you just need a win.  This was it.




Now that I think about this, I think I halved the recipe and made it much harder than it had to be, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  I also made things mini, as per usual now.

So, I started with the frosting because I needed it to cool and settle and I had time to let the cupcakes cool. 
2 large eggs, separated
Half cup of sugar
Two-thirds cup milk (I only had buttercream… it worked out fine)
One third teaspoon vanilla (I rarely measure vanilla extract)
2/3 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves (did not measure)
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter

1.       Whisk eggs yolks and a quarter cup of sugar on high speed until pale and thick.
2.       Bring milk, vanilla, and mint leaves to a boil in medium sauce pan.  Remove from heat.  Whisk a little into the yolk mixture.  Pour the yolk mixture into the pan with the milk mixture.  Whisk to combine.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches 185F.  (freak out, try to find sieve without letting temperature rise, don’t spill, freak out, make noises)  Strain through fine sieve into a heatproof bowl and discard solids.  At this point, I tried to use an ice bath, got lazy, put it in a fridge, and stirred occasionally.  This is not what Martha says to do but to “set bowl in ice bath, stirring mixture until cool.” I have a life Martha, this is not happening.
3.       In another bowl, cream butter.  Once other mixture is cooled enough, add together and beat.  Then, in ANOTHER bowl (I had a lot of dishes to do this day), heat egg whites and other quarter cup sugar over water until sugar is dissolved.  Remove and beat until stiff peaks form and it is cool to the touch.  Add the egg white mixture to the butter/minty/yolk mixture and beat until smooth.  (Martha then says to add mint extract, but I omitted it and the frosting was PERFECT.)

Then the cuppiecakes:
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
2 eggs
¾ cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp vegetable oil (I normally over-measure the oil to make sure they’re moist)
1 tsp pure peppermint extract
¾ cup warm water
1.        Preheat oven to 350F.  Whisk flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.  Add eggs, buttermilk, oil, extract, and water.  Beat until combined. 
2.       Divide batter about 2/3 of the way full.  Make for 11-13 minutes if mini, about 20 minutes if standard size. 
3.       Frost as desired once cooled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment