Monday, September 17, 2012

Found My Mind While Traveling: Brownie Cookies with Salted-Caramel Filling


This month has been hectic.  This month is track season.  I’m writing like I am living in the present, but this is a post about the month that has passed that I can look back on and think, “Watdahhell just happened?”  Track season started and I decided to travel.  I decided to put myself upon multiple friends so that I could remember what it’s like to have friends.  I decided to travel across Massachusetts. 

From where I live, I started in West Springfield, MA.  I visited my best friend.
Then I went to Worcester to visit a wonderful person. 
Then I ended up in Boston and met up with my old neighbor and then an old high school friend. 

If I were a better blogger, I would have brought a camera and taken photos of the time I spent in West Springfield laughing at the waitress who slipped and spilled half our food on the ground.  I would have taken photos of the frozen mojito/margarita Ally’s mom gave her (tequila in a mojito mix bucket is considered what?). I would have documented my time spent in the doorway of a dorm talking to an old friend who gave me back my high school class ring.  I would have taken photos of breakfast with someone I can always catch up with.  I would have snapped shots of the beers and the ridiculous amount of options of beers with Nick.  I would have told you about the crazy person I woke up to at 3AM in Allston.  I would have been able to show you all these things, but I was crazy. 



I was so crazy that when I made these cookies, this is the only photo I took.  I took only ONE photo of the entire recipe.  They are brownie cookies with a salted-caramel cream filling.  They were too moist, too delicious, and traveled across the state of Massachusetts.  They were the thank you and parting gifts for every person I visited.  They were delicious.  They were not from Martha. (WHAT?!) And now that I re-read the recipe, after a month, I realize that I did these absolutely wrong and I’m glad they tasted okay.  Maybe I’ll try them again.




Brownie Cookie
·         12 oz. chocolate, chopped
·         3 tablespoons butter
·         2 eggs
·         ⅔ cup sugar
·         1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·         ¼ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
·         ¼ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
Salted Caramel Creme Filling 
·         1 cup butter
·         2 cups confectioner sugar
·         1/4 teaspoon salted
·         1/4 cup caramel (I used ice cream topping because I was lazy and out of time)
Instructions:
To make brownie cookies:
1.      Place 7oz. of the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over low heat and gently stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
2.      Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add in flour, baking powder, melted chocolate mixture, remaining 5 oz. of chocolate and mix to combine. Set aside to to stand for 10 minutes. Spoon 2 tablespoonful of the mixture, onto parchment lined bake sheet. Bake for about 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on trays.
To make caramel creme filling:
1.      Place butter in a bowl and beat until creamed. Add in confectioner sugar and salt and beat until light combined. Add in caramel and beat until combined.
Assembly:
1.      Spread a teaspoon and a half of caramel creme on underside of one brownie cookie and place a second brownie cookie bottom side down on top frosting.



No comments:

Post a Comment