Saturday, April 21, 2012

Don't Judge, Sweet Nostalgia: Betty Crocker's Boxed Cupcakes


I have been feeling burnt out.  I have been feeling tired and sore and sick of work.  I long for the days when I had no worries.  When the money I made went straight into my savings instead of into my checking to be used.  When the only caffeine I drank were the cold, sweet sips from the bottom of my mother’s tea.  When I used to walk around outside at 7AM in my Aladdin nightgown during the summer to find my father.  When the only fighting was the bickering between me and my sister (which I’m glad has since subsided, but it was nice when that was the only kind of fighting). 

When did I learn what passive aggression was?  When did work become something I needed to do instead of what I wanted to do?  When did my big toes become so calloused that I can’t feel them?  When did the weeks start to blend together to the point that three months have passed without me noticing? 



I went back to my old favorites.  I wanted something I loved.   I wanted to sleep.  I wanted easy.   So I bought some fruit, sushi, and boxed cupcakes (the best kind).  I bought canned frosting.  I wanted my childhood.  I wanted my fairy tale.  Fairy tales exist, even if only in my memory.



They were topped with rainbow sprinkles, because who doesn’t remember rainbow sprinkles in their childhood?  They were topped with Betty Crocker chocolate frosting.  They were nostalgia.  It was wonderful.  I ate three.  I took days off.  I will recover, just slowly.  I miss my friends.  

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I would bake these for you all the days. Everything is better with sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete